Hey guys !! Here we are approaching another new year !! To say 2014 has been tough would be a complete understatement.. however despite it all i am thankful for everything that has happened. I have learnt some serious lessons and have grown a lot ! Growth that may have been delayed , if things had not been shaken up in my life . I am thankful for all my friendships , new and old .. you all kept me going and encouraged me , when i couldn’t see the light at the end of the tunnel.. I am also thankful for all the people that have viewed, shared and commented on NaijaToLa .. thank you for following the dream
I learnt a lot about myself and life in general and wanted to do a wrap up of some of the key lessons . Luckily a very inspiring young lady i know summed up some of my key lessons perfectly and i have decided to share it with you guys !! ( That and i’m running late to Church , so copy and paste works for me ^_^)
2014 Lessons from Ms Boats
Hey y’all (Think y’all is here to stay…y’all. Lol). I present to you some random lessons I learnt this year, professionally, spiritually, emotionally etc. Some are old lessons but situations this year really contextualised it and made it real for me.
In no particular order of importance…
1. Love others. Always choose to act in love. Don’t impose on others. Love them for who they are, flaws and all and be active in that love. Love them hard in prayer when all human means fail. Even before human efforts fail hold people up in prayer. Always.
2. Be patient. Slow to anger. You can rarely take back words and actions spoken in anger. Look at things from the other person’s perspective before reacting. Talk to God before speaking. You won’t regret it.
3. Listen more, talk less. Be measured in what you say. Make sure it holds weight. In the professional arena, church, personal circles…
4. Be diligent. Study and invest on your craft. Whatever it is. Don’t despise the little daily actions that will pay off in the end!
5. Cultivate a frugal trait and making savings and investing a priority. Choose a set amount that works for you. I use 10% of my salary as a benchmark but add more when it’s a light month for example. Nothing is too small and be consistent with it. Unexpected things happen and rainy day funds are always necessary. Also think long term, beyond 5 years. Build wealth. Don’t be penny wise but pound foolish.
6. Love learning. Always be inquisitive. Ask questions. Learn! From experiences, circumstances, people, books…the sources are endless. Learning never stops. Always ask yourself: “What can I learn from this?”
7. Don’t be afraid to dream big! Nothing is impossible. Don’t minimise your dream because you don’t see how it could ever happen. Pray. Seek His will. Commit to Him and do as you are led. Don’t go ahead and then say ‘Oh yeah God, could you ordain that for me please? Thanks!’ Just no.
8. Always try to look on the bright side. Try being the operative word. Life will knock you down. Life isn’t always fair. Don’t sulk about it or become defeated. Focus on the positives, lessons learnt and keep it moving. We have a purpose to fulfil guys!
9. Invest in your health. Don’t take it for granted. People always realise this when it’s too late. Exercise. Eat well. Be healthy.
10. Always make time for people. Relationships are so important. Don’t get so busy that you don’t reach out to people and remind them that you care.
11. Be confident. Know and understand what you bring to the table. There’s a gift placed inside of you, a special space on this earth reserved for you. Some of you know what that is already, some are still finding out. Keep searching and once you find it, own it.
12. I lied. This is the most important point. God was, is and will forever be the Alpha and Omega. That is all.
Ms Boats is currently working in Ghana on an amazing education project called MGCubed ( Making Ghana Girls Great .. Please check out her project and read up on all her Ghana adventures on her blog : www.pboats.wordpress.com
Happppppppy New Year to you all !!! May you continue to grow and get closer to your dreams in 2015 ..
Peace & Love